August 23, 2017

SUNDAY WORSHIPJoin us for worship this Sunday at 10:30a.m. Click here for a description of worship.

Sunday School

From September thru May, we offer Sunday School for children ages 3 through the 8th grade, starting at 9:15 a.m. in the sanctuary.

About First Pres. Wahoo

Come to the About Us page to meet our pastor and find out what we're all about!

About Presbyterians

What do Presbyterians believe? Find out more on the About Presbyterians page.

Members Login



Last month August 2017 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 31 1 2 3 4 5
week 32 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
week 33 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
week 34 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
week 35 27 28 29 30 31

About Our Church

 

First Presbyterian Church started on Sunday, January 27, 1874 by N.C. Robinson (state missionary) and the Rev. William Fletcher, who became our first pastor. That first Sunday there was an awful storm, and only seven of the sixteen charter members came to worship. The church first gathered in a modest little building downtown. There was not a lot of money early on, so the women of the church pasted colored tissue paper to the windows to simulate stained glass.

 

In 1910, after 36 years as an organized congregation, the church purchased another congregation's building, which sat behind the county courthouse. This had been the Covenanter's Church, but that congregation had disbanded after a large number of its members came to the Presbyterian Church. One of the main reasons for this was that in the 1890s, there was an election for mayor in town. The thirteen churches in town had their candidate running against the candidate supported by the thirteen saloons in town. The saloon candidate won, largely because the Covenanter's Church did not allow its members to vote! They were so upset about this that many of them left the Covenanter's Church for the Presbyterian Church.

 

The building our church bought was moved to a new site downtown, where it was renovated and largely rebuilt. The church met in that facility for over 40 years, until we outgrew it. In the winter of 1959, the congregation started a building campaign, and by May of 1963, they had built our current facility. The old building was torn down just a few years ago, after serving as a Bingo hall and antiques store.

 

Over the past 90 years, our church has had only four pastors: Rev. E.J. Nickerson (1920-1964), Rev. Walter Millett (1964-1972), Rev. Dr. Burton Knudsen (1973-2003, Pastor Emeritus since 2008), and Rev. Patrick Marshall (2005-present).

 

Today, the First Presbyterian Church is a thriving community of over 300 men, women, and children, all striving to live the way of Jesus in our little corner of Nebraska. 

 

 
Connected Word - Websites for the Faith Community